Sunday, February 7, 2016

a letter

To those who it may concern on the board of administration of Lone Peak High,

I am currently a senior who has attended all three years of my high school career at Lone Peak. I have been very impressed with almost everything that lone peak has to offer to it’s students. Its education is high quality and the school is nothing short of being world class. I am grateful and blessed to have attended such a high school.
However I have been concerned about a few things going on inside of the school. I feel like the student recognition is very poor at Lone Peak. Countless amounts of students slip through the cracks every single day going unnoticed and brushed off by people not caring. People like the idea of having a school where everyone is happy and are best friends with each other but in reality that’s never going to happen.
Although, some schools are better at showing love and caring for students/classmates than others are.  Lone Peak has a status for being stuck up and full of rich snotty kids. Which isn’t completely true but there are students and teachers who DO act this way and it’s harming the entire student body. People at lone peak often act better than everyone else and speak condescendingly to others. Reputation and status is everything and if you don’t play a sport or instrument you get lost in the crowd and forgotten.

I love how Rhonda has a recognition assembly and lets the entire school know the accomplishments and achievements of some of the student body, but the keyword is “SOME” of the student body. Not everyone is getting noticed and it breaks my heart.
The jocks, athletes, student council, etc. get favored and are glamorized over the remaining student body. “Knight line news” only features the same few groups and individuals almost every single week. I’m sick of seeing the regular kids who don’t play sports or who aren’t on clubs get pushed to the side and become unnoticed shadows. I think I’ve seen enough of the basketball team on the Friday video announcements, what are the remaining 2476 students doing and achieving?
I have a hard time voting for homecoming royalty, student body officers,  “funniest guy/girl at school”, etc. Because it’s the same exact people on those voting ballots every time I go to vote. I want to see some diversity and change things up a little bit. I’m not saying I don’t like the people who are currently being recognized in those elections but I just think our school needs to start paying more attention to the kids who aren’t sitting next to the Knight in the commons every single lunch.
Getting marked absent when you really were in class is probably the worst feeling in the whole world. Going throughout the day at school feeling like a ghost who nobody sees is awful. Now I know teachers make mistakes and don’t see everyone who is present in class but I do believe that teachers and the administration could do a better job at reaching out to all of their kids they are over. Being noticed and talked to by an adult that actually genuinely cares can make a huge difference.
I know it would be possible to make a change at Lone Peak with the student recognition and it’s going to take everyone at the school to help. I have hope that classmates will reach out to one another, teachers will be more personable with their students, and the administration can recognize more varieties of kids.
Thank you for reading and caring about my perspective of what’s going on inside of lone peak high school. I hope to see some changes in the nearby future.

3 comments: