Sunday, May 22, 2016

can I make a toast?

here's to highschool

here's to the 3:00 am last minute homework and test cramming
here's to the person who sent out the picture on Twitter with all the schools wifi passwords
here's to my best friends and friends I've lost along the way
here's to the mono infested drinking fountains and trunking
here's to the teachers who cared and changed lives 
here's to the teal colored lockers that didn't match anything else in the school
here's to the tools and tool-ets who sat by the knight and looked down on everyone else
here's to the kids who were kind and said hi to everyone
here's to the kid with glasses sitting in the back row of floral design, I always admired you
here's to the dances, singing journey don't stop believing and chanting SENIOR YEAR at the top of our lungs
here's to the boys I "went out with" who put up with holding my cold hands and dealing with my awkwardness
here's to the teachers who had to teach out in the trailers that smelled like bologna 
here's to the football games, basketball games, spirit bowls, and everything else that filled our school with spirit that brought everyone together
here's to eating your home lunch in second period and being hungry again in third
here's to the three hundred dollar outfits and to the sweat pants and Jesus sandals
here's to Nelson and him putting up with having me every single day in creative writing AND English
here's to him for allowing me to be a tourist and listen in on the countless life lessons in his classes even though I always sucked at writing
here's to the parking tickets
here's to the kids who felt alone and sat in the hallways by themselves, I'm sorry.
here's to the notes taped to lockers and inspirational messages written in side walk chalk that got me through the days when I didn't feel like I could go on anymore
here's to "gooooood morning Knights" "it's time" "reaching your peak" and "becoming one"
here's to the gum under the desks and constantly in my mouth chewing 
here's to the administration and faculty for all the hard work and heart they put into their jobs
here's to the kneaders French toast during boring assemblies 
here's to Lynn Combs in the hallways telling me to "GET TO CLASS!"
here's to the snooze button on my alarm clock
here's to world class and being labeled as the "rich kids" even though some of us are still poor
here's to quotes on the walls in the hallways to look up at when there's an awkward situation
here's to knightline news for making everyone feel important 
here's to Frank Jackson for making our school famous and being a baller
here's to borrowing the hall pass and roaming the halls for 30 minutes
here's to the school cop for whatever crimes he fights on a daily
here's to the band room that I never set foot in
here's to the kids who sat with the special needs kids during lunch 
here's to the vending machines that used to be good before Michelle Obama ruined them with nasty food
here's to the 600 hall 
here's to the janitor who smiled at me every time I walked past him
here's to the the 9826151930 pens and pencils I lost along the way 
here's to Rhonda Bromley for genuinely caring and loving every single student at lone peak even if she still doesn't know my name 
here's to the report cards and extra credit 
here's to AP Calc and Craig smith for changing my life forever #pebblesofhope
here's to the student council for EVERYTHING they did and the hundreds of hours they put in to make our school great
here's to the cars I cut off every morning driving to school and for the people who let me go Infront of them to get out of the parking lot 
here's to McDonald's and Walmart for being there to walk over to every single day sophomore year 
here's to the boy with the ukulele in the hallway who made me realize how precious life really is
here's to early morning seminary devotionals and seminary teachers for acting like they believed I actually read the entire Old Testament 
here's to the moldy showers in the girls locker rooms
here's to you and to me and the countless memories and people I'll never forget in highschool
here's to graduation and that moment and feeling I'll soon have of throwing my cap into the air and the next chapter in life
here's to highschool
I love you lone peak 

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful.

    You notice all the right things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this really made me feel nostalgic. "here's to" should be a prompt

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZINGGG.
    almost started crying. you captured a lot of great things.

    ReplyDelete